Happy Secular New Year! In our remaining hours of 2014, as we reflect on the year that was, I hope that your Jewish values and your desire to protect Creation loom large. And I hope that making an annual gift to COEJL is among the remaining items on your to-do list.
We at COEJL are doing what’s necessary to meet the tall order of being an organized Jewish voice promoting sustainable climate and energy policy. Your support has kept us going, and has lent credence to our voice on behalf of our larger community. In 2015, with your help, we will build on the resurgence we’ve enjoyed in the past year. Looking back on this year:
1) COEJL became a more streamlined part of our parent organization, the Jewish Council for Public Affairs. We’ve been with the JCPA for all of our 21 years; with tighter coordination, we’re poised to rally the broadest range of American Jewish voices in support of sustainability.
2) We convened climate conversations in five cities across the country – Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Saint Louis, Minneapolis and Cleveland – many of which made a great impact with media and strong attendance. The conversations continue.
3) We stressed the importance of educating communities in numerous ways: on environmental justice; on the nexus between national security, international relations, and climate change; by strengthening our interfaith partnerships; and by convening local stakeholder meetings.
4) I had the honor to be elected the chairperson of the COEJL governance committee, a strong group of Jewish-environmental leaders who bring great devotion to this work. We are only redoubling our efforts.
5) We’ve learned that there’s a whole lot more to be done! And, we’ve learned that we simply can’t succeed without the robust support and involvement of our friends and partners. We need you.
Please be generous, as a year-end donation or into the new year. A great way to leverage even a small donation is by becoming a monthly contributor. And stepping forward is especially helpful right now, since your dollar is currently worth two. We remain grateful to our friend Doug Legum for matching everything we raise this season, dollar for dollar, up to $15,000.
End the year generously! Please go online to www.coejl.org/contribute, and join us as a monthly contributor today.
May 2015 hold health, happiness, and sustainability in store. Happy Secular New Year!
Rabbi Fred Scherlinder Dobb, COEJL Chair